BA/BS Degree in Science, Engineering and/or Criminal Justice OR Minimum of 5 year(s) of experience in Criminal and/or civil investigations; and/or Previously completed training in RCRA regulatory compliance sufficient to meet 3500.1 RCRA inspector requirements.
- Must possess valid driver's license. Will also be required to undergo a background examination in order to obtain inspection credentials prior to independently performing field work. Also will be required to complete Conflict of Interest Statement and comply with all associated requirements.
- Experience required with Windows, Fax, Copying Machine, MS Word
- Scanner, laptop PC, digital camera
Person will be conducting hazardous waste-related inspections and complaint investigations under the authority of RCRA 3007a, as well as performing compliance assistance visits, in the State of Iowa. This position requires the use of technical skills sufficient to review, analyze and interpret technical regulations/requirements, and determine/document facility compliance with these requirements.
- Conducting inspections and complaint investigations (includes file review and preparation, field work and completion of a detailed and clear narrative report that includes all facility compliance documentation). 60%
- Perform compliance assistance visits at facilities, in order to provide them with appropriate technical information to aid them with understanding and meeting regulatory requirements. 30%
- Technical support to inspection and enforcement programs as required. 10%
- 1. 3500.1 (including RCRA program specific) and 1440.2 - see below
- Providing minimum educational requirement are fully met, training will be provided for 3500.1 and 1440.2 requirements, as well as all annual refresher training requirements. Will also provide training in the use of EPA specific word processing software and equipment, as long as applicant has familiarity with their generic use.
- Overnight travel: 2-4 nights per month
- Rental cars: Once per month - or may use their own vehicle and be reimbursed for mileage.
- Health Safety Training: Basic 24-40 hour field safety training and 8-hour annual refresher course
- Health and Safety Considerations: Formal training course
- Physical activities include climbing stairs, working in hot and cold buildings/environments, walking long distances, and carrying equipment and supplies (<30 pounds).
- Work is also performed in the vicinity of potentially hazardous materials, although direct exposure is not anticipated.
- Required Safety Gear: Hardhat, hearing protection, gloves, safety shoes/boots, safety glasses, coveralls.
- Safety Gear Use: As required during visual examination of facility waste generation and waste management areas. Usage varies based on site-specific conditions.