BA/BS Degree in Civil Engineering or Environmental/Sanitary Engineering OR Minimum of 4 year(s) of experience in Municipal Civil/Water/Wastewater engineering - consulting engineering or public sector project experience in municipal wastewater collection and treatment system designs, design project reviews, and project approvals Previously completed training in Municipal wastewater collection system design and operations: Municipal wastewater treatment system design and operations; optional advanced wastewater treament training.
- Engineer Intern (EI/FE) certification of Professional Engineer (P.E.) license or professional engineering experience in municipal wastewater engineering included in acceptable work experience above. Optional engineering work experience in drinking water treatment designs including pump station and force main designs. Experience in construction administration and observation. Ability to understand and review technical, administrative, and regulatory documents to assure projects comply with CWSRF and permitting requirments. Ability to read and understnd technical documents and information for projects, perform detailed project tehcnical review and prepare comments for projects. Ability to perform ecomplex civil and enviromental engineering calculations. Ability to input and develop reports using databases. Fluent and tactful communications both written and oral in English to communicate with permittees, consulting engineers, stakeholders and the public. Ability to prepare and make technical presentations. Licensed driver and ability to travel to remote sites for meetings and inspections. Must have physical mobility to inspect construction sites in rugged terrain. Capacity to adjust to change, work pressures or difficult situations without undue stress. Must demonstrate initiative, customer service and team orientation and display high standards of ethical conduct. Ability to input and develop reports using databases. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Technical Engineering skills, attention to detail, customer focus, ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Experience required with Windows, Fax, Copying Machine, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access
- Web-based Wastewater database; scientific calculator & computer software to check wastewater design calculations
Provide engineering and technical review of facility plans (engineering reports) and construction permit applications, and management of waste water treatment projects funded with the Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund (CWSRF) in accordance with Iowa waste water facilities design standards, Iowa and Federal rules, statutes, standards, and procedures.
- Review of Facility Plans:
Technical review of facility plans addressing adequacy of design basis in conformance with state, federal rules, standards and siting requirements.
Follow the Wastewater Engineering Construction Permitting Process Manual, coordinating with cities and their consultants and other agencies as necessary.
Coordinate activities with DesMoines Natural Resources field office and NPDES staff on project speific and siting issues. 30%
- Review construction permit applications:
Porjects will conform to current desitgn standards.
Document reviews and comments made, transmitting clear and concise comments to the project owner and consultant. Meet as necessary to resolve technical issues.
Follow the prescribed process in the permitting Wastewater Engineering Construction Permitting Process Manual.
Review conformance with CWSRF rules and requirements.
Issue construction permits. 30%
- SRF Project Coordination, including planning prior to Facility Plan submittal and Technical Assistance:
Coordinate assigned projects according to the Wastewater Engineering Construction Permitting Process.
Use tracking system for administrative management of project information.
Perform professional contacts and document actions.
Maintain project schedules by timely reviews and responses.
Coordinate with Cities, their representatives, citizens and other agencies to expedite project approvals.
Final inspection of projects after completion of construction and acceptance by Owner. 30%
- Other related duties as assigned which may include special wastewater projects 7%
- Other duties as assigned 3%
- We may provide training in wastewater treatment and collection system design and operations; state rules and design standards; standard operating procedures including permitting process manual orientation. Most of this training will be through an assigned internal DNR work mentor or through DNR reference material. Some of it may be external training.